On Saturday, May 31st, 10:00am the sound of John Lennon’s “Imagine” played in the sunlit morning calling people together and started the Harmony with Difference: A Local – Global Peace Pole and Flag Ceremony.
This historic, multi-cultural event bringing friendship and goodwill within the Rogue Valley, Oregon cultures and internationally with China, was guided by Fumi Johns Stewart and Jules Lamore of the World Peace Prayer society. It was organized by David Wick and Irene Kai of Southern Oregon China Connection and co-sponsored by Medford/Jackson County Chamber of Commerce, and United Way of Jackson County, Oregon. This was a first.
Participants were truly moved by the four languages on the Peace Pole, English, Chinese, Spanish and Lakota which expressed the universal message May Peace Prevail on Earth – transcending religion, politics, ethnicity, and all other differences.
The International symbol dedicated to Peace, friendship and goodwill, will serve as an inspiration and source of pride for generations to come.
The wonderful speakers were:
• Agnes Baker Pilgrim – Member of International Council of 13 Indigenous Grandmothers
• Representative Dennis Richardson – Oregon Legislator, candidate for Oregon Governor
• Minister Counsellor Mr. Fang Maotian, Chinese Embassy Washington DC
• Representative Peter Buckley – Oregon Legislator
• Lilia Caballero – Cultural Liaison Coordinator, Medford Police Department
• Art Lumley, Ret. Navy Commander, Chair of the Jacksonville/Applegate Rotary Club Peace Committee
We were also treated to the Ballet Folklorico Ritmo Alegre dance troup.
This dedicated and honored Peace Pole was then placed as a permanent regional monument in the main walkway in the US Cellular Community Park in Medford. It will be a shared inspiration for many thousands of young people and families from Oregon, and many surrounding states, who come to this well known facility.
Please click here to watch KDRV TV Channel News on the event.